Bike Commuting and I'm Back

Moderators: ratboy, vudu

SULLY

Re: Bike Commuting and I'm Back

Post by SULLY » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:47 am

I never got fully into the punk scene, but I remember listening to Milo Goes to College a ton while I worked in kitchens in Oxford, Mississippi. Great Album. I still pull that one out every now again. Sublime does a cover of "Hope" that is really cool too. They do it a little more distorted, uptempto, and a good bit thrashier.
And then it came time to descend Mountain Lion trail. Descending mountain lion is like drinking a Margarita through a crazy straw on a trampoline. It's like giving a dog Pop Rocks. It's like a knife fight with a monkey. It's like necking with an octopus. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301909

stu

Post by stu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:11 am

In!

Mornin’ fellow commuters!

I thought with the dip in temps on Monday morning (mid-70s felt oh-so-fine) we might be scooting pass the worse part of summer. I keep looking for that slope back down towards the Autumn Equinox (month away). But, I was oh-so-wrong as this morning it was hotter than skunk piss (not that I know from experience but one can assume skunk’s piss is pretty darn hot!) Anyhow, my 5 mile run prior to bike commute had me dragging more the last mile due to drenched clothing (legs & lungs felt fine). I was running a few minutes late for the commute so I got on it harder than normal and to my dismay I was actually slower than my record of 14 min flat (14:twenty something).

A new breakthrough in cooling off quickly, quickly lose your sweaty clothes, point the A/C vent in your direction, add a portable fan directed at your upper body, and finally sit at your desk a good 5 mins butt-asss naked (obviously with the door closed, unless you like Johnson from down the hall checking out your Johnson). :oops:

Hydration report: ‘all clear’ time for morning coffee. :mrgreen:

Out!

stu

AS GOOD AS IT'S GOING TO GET...

Post by stu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:57 am

I saw 75 degrees on one sign this morning and the slight breeze out of the north made it feel even better. Finished a strong run of 5 miles and did the bike commute to work too (beat my record by 2 seconds at 13:59, and I wasn’t even pushing hard).

Hope you guys made it out today, one of the coolest mornings I have felt in a while (and hopefully will continue).

LSU_engr

Post by LSU_engr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 am

Didn't commute, but rode an hour this morning starting at 5:15. Definitely felt good compared to the 80 degree crap we have been dealing with at 5 in the morning. Looking forward to those 55-60 degree mornings.
High on tri

robc

Post by robc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm

High temp is still expected to be 100 here today. But the humidity is a lot lower (92 only feels like 99, rather than 112). Looks like this weekend should cool off considerably though! A couple weeks ago, while in N. GA, the poplar leaves were turning yellow and falling, so hopefully an early fall this year. Gas prices are coming down too! Time to start planning a road trip!
Portland- where the dream of the 90s is still alive today.

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 pm

This is my ride report from two days ago:

First commute in a few weeks due to the fact that during a flat change, I realized the tires on my new to me commuter were dry rotted. I replaced them with Kenda Konstirctors with Iron Curtain protection, whatever Soviet invention that is. Hopefully I get some good protection.

The commute was really fast today. There was hardly any traffic. I may have seen 15 cars. I do bike mostly through neighborhoods, but the metropolitian intersections I go through usually have at least 15 cars in each direction. The weather was pretty nice as well. I can't wait for winter. I feel like we have finally got over the hottest days of summer hump, and it can only get better from here on out.

Also, I misjudged my changing timing at work. I usually take some time to cool off. I get here earlier than anyone else, so I usually lose the shirt while cooling down. The next person in our office is our receptionists. I know when I hear the door open, it is time to go change before anyone who has to walk past my office gets here. Well I heard the first door open and close. "Ok, just the secretary, she never walks in my area." I hear the second door close. "Oh ****, someone else is here I better run across the hall quick to change." As I am halfway across the hall, "shoot I fogot my deoderant." I make it back to my office and grab my deoderant. I am rushing back tothe changing area, the gay guy in office is coming around the corner. I don't really want any of my coworkers to me topless and sweaty, but at the same time I realize it isn't the end of the world. What made this wierd was the gay coworker's reaction. He shielded his eyes, yelped 'oh god, sorry', in an excited yet nervous tone and scurried by extra quickly. :oops: He is socially awkward anyway, but it definately was a wierd start to my day.
And then it came time to descend Mountain Lion trail. Descending mountain lion is like drinking a Margarita through a crazy straw on a trampoline. It's like giving a dog Pop Rocks. It's like a knife fight with a monkey. It's like necking with an octopus. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301909

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:43 pm

My ride report from Today:

Weather was too sweet today. I bareley broke a sweat. The only thing to report is a broken down dumpster truck that was blocking one side of a 4 lane neighborhood road. Since I was on a bike and it was too early for traffic, I just cut over th median and rode on the wrong side of the road until the next cross over median, while watching cars do a detour. The gay guy didn't see me topless today. I made sure to change early, and since i didn't really sweat, my cool down period was a lot shorter.

Anyway, my normal commute is 11 miles round trip. but I just started school, so this week, I am biking to work, getting a ride to school, and biking home. I am doing this because I am not sure if logistically, I will have to bike to school from work and get a shower in time for class. I have about 55 minutes and the mileage is a 8.5 mile flat urban (lights and traffic) commute. Google maps says I can make it in 38-48 minutes. 38 minutes being their suggested route, but due to traffic, I don't think that is the fastest way. 48 minutes being my own straight shot down not so busy roads. I think if I push myself on the road bike, I might be able to make it in 45 minutes, which gives me 10 minutes to shower and get to class. I don't have class Friday, so I am giving it a test run. Does anyone know how your time compares to that estimated by google maps? I am about three minutes faster than google maps says I should be on my way 5 mile ride home. I would think that at 8.5 miles, I might could come in 5 minutes faster, which would put me at 43 minutes, giving me 12 minutes to shower and get to class. No matter what I will get a ride on test days, just in case I get a flat or something.

SULLY

Post by SULLY » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:14 pm

I did my second night commute today. The first one, was just home from a friends bbq on a fairly well lit road. I have flashers on bike, and the worked fine for that trip. Well tonight was somewhat different. The road is much like most roads I take by bicycle. 4 lane roads that no longer need to be 4 lanes due to low traffic, or neighborhoods changing. The road is through the heart of an area that has still has not come back since Katrina. The roads are crackled, and the street lights that are working are few and far between. I was really nervous on these roads. I kept thinking of a time I got my front wheel lodged in a crack in the street while leisurely biking at 10 miles and hour. I endod and rolled almost into a cop car. Only, tonight there is no telling what I would have rolled into. Luckily I only hit a couple of unexpected cracks, but nothing that would cause a wreck. The next portion of my trip is down one of our first designated, bike and walker only paths that is completely separated from the road by a grassy median. Smooth asphalt, no cars, and........no lighting. I was extremely sketched out for this entire potion of my ride, which makes up the bulk of it. I almost hit another cyclist head on. She was riding in my lane on the path. She had to have seen my blinky light, but she didn’t want to move from the side of her boyfriend who was biking along with her. I saw several cars pulled over to the bike path, where I suspect various love acts were taking place.

I think it is time that I invest in a proper light for night riding, especially if I plan on doing this route the three evenings I have class. It was very apparent that the scare factor for riding without a light, even on a smooth piece of asphalt designated for bikes, is too high for my ticker. Plus if I get a light, I might even catch a glimpse of the various love acts going on in said cars.

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah, on the street w/out a decent light is too sketchy for me. I hate it when headlights blind you and you can't see changes in the road without a decent light. I need to budget for a new one since I'm going to go back to biking home once it gets out of the triple digits here. Both of my old halogen lights have dead batteries and my HID battery pack is too freaking heavy for commuting. I know a few people who swear by the Niterider LED lights for commuting. They're bright and have a pretty long run time. They have a few models for a little under $100 that can be charged thru a USB port. That way you can leave the USB connector at work & standard outlet one at home. If you commute in early you can top it off before going to class.

Not sure if the code is still good but cambria was running a free shipping special last week with the coupon code "POWERUP"

Here's one for $90 w/separate battery cord (It's slightly more for the model that has a helmet mount)

Here's an all-in-one unit for $100.

Both have the usb charger.
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

Monkey Boy

Post by Monkey Boy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am

Oh yeah, another great investment a friend told me about. If they have a Harbor Freight store near you, you can pick up one of those reflective vests like highway workers have for a couple of bucks. He said it easily goes over his backpack and it's super reflective. He commutes year round along 2 very busy highways so he has blinkies AND the vest. Better to be a live dork then a stylish corpse. :lol:
"(Bleep)...that's gonna leave a mark." C.Farley

stu

Post by stu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:17 am

Well I didn’t think this morning was as nice as Wednesday, but I still got my morning commute time down even further to 13:12, averaging near 17mph - best to date! :D If I had clocked over 30mph down the tunnel it would have been an "epic ride", but I believe the slope the opposite direction is greater (always notice faster speeds on the way home).

Anyhow, Sully if you are going to invest in a vest I would highly recommend you NOT get one of those heavy roadside worker vests. I tried using one on my morning runs and it felt like I was wearing a sleeveless shirt of steel. Not only are they heavy, they have very little breathability also. I just bought one of these (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASW2654/) for my O’Dark thirty (5am) runs. Very comfy and light and well visible.

I don’t bother wearing too much reflective on the bike since my messenger bag takes up most of my back anyhow (there is a good bit of reflectors on it anyhow). I only run one multi-blinker tail light I picked up from Eric’s shop (this one I think: http://brandscycle.com/product/serfas-t ... t-6106.htm) it works really well in darkness and daylight. I don’t really need a headlight since most of my commute is downtown and I know the roads very well.

Monkey Boy – I stick to style points since a 3rd of my route is through the ghetto, too much visibility may go in there favor when following me in the sites of that Uzi! :shock:

LynnGray

Post by LynnGray » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:58 am

One of the few mornings that I didn't commute by bike. I was just about ready to quit on this weather so the break in the heat came at just the right time.

I'm looking for a good cycling backpack. I'd been using a Dell laptop backpack and it's been really good, lots of pockets and the padding on the back is thick. However I've worn out the zippers and generally trashed it.

Lets_Ride

Post by Lets_Ride » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:59 am

Stu.

As far as the Uzzi goes you should be fine if veer to the right. They will be holding it Gang Banger style (sideways) so it will "climb" to the left.
SS/HT/FS/RD (Anything on two wheels)

Ryan

stu

Post by stu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Looks like my luck has finally run out. Dodged the scattered showers this morning but is going to give me a good soaking on the commute home! :(

It's a good thing turds float... :lol:

stu

Post by stu » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 am

Well, fellow commuters, summer may not be officially over but I think it’s safe the worst is now behind us. The digital temperature gauge near my house said 72° this morning and I felt every bit of it on my morning run then commute. I thought while running if there had been a slight breeze dare I say it might have felt “cool” – and later actually caught a slight chill on the bike when I first took off. Can’t get any better than this!

I hope you all made it out today too…?